Wednesday 29 May 2013

The Difference in Lifestyles

So whoever is reading this probably doesn't know that I was had a very hard time in grade ten. Grade nine was great. I was healthy, vibrant and not a care in the world. I got a bit higher than nine on the beep test and loved spontaneous trips. Then my world came crashing down when I unfortunately shared a straw with a friend who came back from a third world country and caught a virus like mono. I had all the symptoms of it, but it wouldn't show up on my numerous blood tests. The doctors said that I was sleeping more than a person with mono, I think my highest was 18 hours sleeping in a day. You probably don't believe this, but it's true. I was sick for two and a half months. It was devastating for me and for my body. I lost weight and muscle. I came back to school in January and started my semester of gym 10, truly disappointed in what my body could do now versus before I was sick. I know that I started in the seven range on the beep test, whereas before I was in the nine range. Things would tire me out more and I had less energy. I went to a naturopath who told me that I should start being gluten and dairy free. This was so hard, but the change in lifestyle helped me not only to maintain a healthy diet, but I truly believe that it helped me recover. I started exercising more, noticing that it helped whenever I needed a break or was stressed. My immune system also had to rebuild. When I came back to school I would get sick around every two weeks, usually a cold that I would come to school and work through. Before I would only get sick around once a year with something like the flu and believed in the three second rule for everything. Now my immune system is doing better (even though now I'm a bit of a germophobe). I still get sick, but not as often and I've learned to try and rebuild my strength in my body. I think that because of this experience, I know my own body better and I know how to cope when something tragic happens more than other people my age. I guess I just learned that my lifestyle I live now counts, you know? Because I'm not a teenager forever, but I can lead a life knowing that I can take care of myself and do what it takes to get there.

5 comments:

  1. Alyssa - thanks for sharing. Sometimes you have to reset your expectations without letting it get you down... Love your positivity in class - that makes a difference to other students.

    ReplyDelete
  2. love ur work

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Ms. Phillips, that's exactly right about the expectations part, that's definitely what I had to do. I try so hard to have a smile, even when I don't feel like it.

    Thank you my lovely ladies, Maansi and Ritu, for your positive comments! <3

    ReplyDelete